These last few days, things keep getting in the way of my playtime. Here’s my usual attempt at playing:
– Turn on computer (or close whatever prog I was working with)
– Do the mail/RSS/workplz? thing
– Check the weather (just because it’s SO DAMN NICE here and I can compare/contrast with where we used to live)
– Do the work thing (not nearly enough right now)
– Fire up game client — right now that’s either EVE or Guild Wars but it might just include LOTRO soon
– Get coffee — get distracted by the ongoing Great Tijeras Rodent War and either expel an invader or clean up some of its poop (eww) — get distracted by not-quite-plague-ridden dogs — get distracted by the incredibly awesome weather and the really rather nice views — get distracted by hummingbirds fighting and chasing each other like it’s WWII all over again
– Come back to comp, sit down, start to play
– Answer phone / answer sudden email / respond to minor dogmergency
– Come back 1-2 hours later and decide I’m too damn tired and/or distracted to play
And yet… and yet, it doesn’t matter! I’m not paying a subscription for Guild Wars, so who cares? I can log in and DO NOTHING (i.e. sit at the login screen, sit at the bank, sit at the adventuring zone dropoff which is as far as I got before I got called away). I don’t even have to log in at all!
EVE of course isn’t free, but on the bright side my char is at least racking up those skill points even if I don’t manage to get my planetary installations and market orders sorted on any given day. I’d probably unsub if it weren’t for the spousal unit’s feeling somewhat abandoned. On the other paw it’s only one sub and that even I can manage.
Free to play isn’t always well implemented (that’s YOU I’m looking at, SOE/EQ2X), but the basic idea isn’t so bad at all. And that’s something of a change of opinion for me; a few years back I’d have told you nothing good ever came of being free to play, which really only meant “Free to get harassed by constant in-game and e-mail hard sell to buy this that or the other”.
See you in game somewhere. Or, the way my life is these days, not. But I’ll at least be firing up clients!